Planting Advice for Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm':
- For best results grow in moist, fertile soil that drains well, or in pots in good quality compost, in full sun or semi shade.
- If planting out, prepare the soil in advance by digging over and removing any weeds.
- Incorporate some well-rotted manure to enrich the soil if necessary.
- Knock the plant from its container and look at the roots – if they are circling around the compost, it is best to tease them out. To do this, push your fingers into the root ball along the bottom edge and pull. Do this in a couple of places. This should encourage the roots to spread into the surrounding soil.
- Next use a trowel or spade to create a hole just deep and wide enough to set in the root ball - the aim is to bury just the roots, leaving the bases of the stems (when in growth in summer) or the shoots (in spring) above ground.
- Firm back around the soil, using your hand for small clumps and your heel on larger areas.
- Water in well to settle the soil and prevent it drying out.
Aftercare Advice for Goldsturm:
- Keep plants well watered.
- Lift and divide congested clumps in autumn or spring.
- Remove faded flowers to encourage further blooms
Pruning advice for Black Eyed Susan Rudbeckia:
- Cut back immediately after flowering and a second flush of blooms may follow in the autumn.